Early School History
TENNESSEE SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF
Established in 1845
EARLY HISTORY OF THE SCHOOL
In July 1844, a board was appointed to determine the first steps for establishing a school for the deaf. During the next several months of study and correspondence, the board contacted Reverend Thomas MacIntire from the Ohio Institute of Education of the Deaf and Dumb and asked him to take charge of the Tennessee school as principal and teacher. He accepted and asked to bring with him a Deaf man, Mr. Charles Myers, as an assistant teacher.
In January 1846, the General Assembly passed an act for the school to be incorporated and named Tennessee Deaf and Dumb School.
In June 1846, Calvin Morgan of Knoxville gave the school two acres of land just west of the center of town. Money was secured to erect the first building (later known as the East Wing). In the fall 25 students were enrolled.
In June 1852, an additional three and a half acres were purchased on the east and north ends of the school, improvements were made, and the grounds were enclosed with a fence.