1940 - 1965 History of Dandridge Avenue Campus
History of Dandridge Avenue Campus
1940 - 1965
In the Fall of 1965, under a mandate from the legislature that ended segregation of public schools, the Dandridge campus students and staff merged with the Island Home campus.
In the spring of 1965, Troy Haydon, the football coach on the main campus, requested that students from the Dandridge campus be allowed to participate in spring football practice. Mr. Robert Bailey, a longtime employee and coach at the Dandridge campus, transported six boys every afternoon to the main campus on Island Home for football practice.
The Black students who were the first to participate in activities at the Island Home Campus were: Willie Poplar, Jackie Burnes, Kenneth Smith, Frank Blair, Anthony Hodges and John Dandy.