1923 - 1924 Island Home Campus
Early History of Island Home Campus
1923 - 1924
The five buildings being built were: administration building, 100 by 196 feet, containing twenty-two classrooms, offices, library, auditorium with seating capacity of 700, and shops for vocational training; two girls’ dormitories; a boys’ dormitory; and a laundry and central heating plant combined.
On November 28, 1923, the cornerstone for the administration building was laid with a simple ceremony. Mr. R. Mann, a teacher for forty-two years at the school, placed a metal box containing important papers and reports in the wall.
In the fall, of 1924, the Island Home Campus was established with 5 new buildings for the opening of school.
· The Main Building
· Cottage A for small girls
· Cottage B for older girls
· Cottage C for small boys
· Laundry and Central Heating Plant
On November 12, 1924, the new school buildings were formally dedicated with Governor Austin Peay presiding and Superintendent Mrs. Poore paid tribute to the splendid work of Mr. Thomas Marr in his architectural plans for the buildings along with Mr. Lewis S. Pope, Commissioner of Institutions.