Deaf Mentor Program
The Deaf Mentor Program, through Tennessee Schools for the Deaf (TSD), is a statewide service that is dedicated to providing support to families with children who have hearing loss from birth to five. Providers are certified and trained in the SKI*HI model, a research-validated and evidence-based curriculum. The program provides support to parents, families, and the child(ren) in a variety of ways. There are two concurrent components to the program: Deaf Mentoring and Parent Advising.
What does a Deaf Mentor do?
- Meet weekly for one hour with your family and your deaf / hard of hearing child
- Teach visual communication / ASL to your family and child
- Share experiences about growing up in a hearing world
- Take your family and child to Deaf events & explore Deaf culture
- Model natural communication with your child
- Demonstrate storytelling, literacy, and learning opportunities
- Encourage family members to communicate and advocate for themselves
- Be a role model for families and their children
- Attend monthly joint visits with your Parent Advisor so families can get the best of both worlds
What does a Parent Advisor do?
- Meet weekly for one hour with your family and your child with hearing loss
- Support your family and child with listening spoken language strategies to use during daily routines
- Support your family through your journey of raising a child with hearing loss
- Offer resources and knowledge based on your family's communication preferences
- Demonstrate storytelling, literacy, and learning opportunities in a spoken English format
- Attend monthly joint visits with your Deaf Mentor so your family can have the best of both worlds
- Empower parents to self-advocate and to advocate for their child
Are you interested in receiving Deaf Mentor services for your child?
Please fill out our Intake Form for Deaf Mentor Services.
You will be given program details and an opportunity to ask questions. Please note that spots are extremely limited.
Interested in becoming a contracted Deaf Mentor?
Please fill out our Prospective Deaf Mentor Intake Form. We look forward to hearing from you!
Deaf Mentor Team
Deaf Mentor Coordinator
How do families benefit?
Personal testimony by Amy Ferrell. Note: External Link (9:41)